Saturday, July 16, 2016

Chapter 9: A Cup of Coffee and an Accomplishment

8:00a. Madison Campground. Yellowstone

Because of the size of our family, we've reserved two adjoining campsites. We've set up the larger tent on one campsite, and this morning my wife and I are up early, so we set up the stove and grill at the other campsite and make some breakfast while the kids sleep.

Enjoying a quiet breakfast with my wife, in the crisp morning air of Yellowstone, is maybe the nicest part of the trip for me so far.

After breakfast, the kids are still asleep. So my wife and I set up the second tent and start moving all of the foodstuffs into the bear box that sits at the back of the campsite.

Unlike our campsite in Colorado, this one is LOADED with convenient access to everything we need. A water pump sits literally one foot away from the edge of our site. And a clean rest station with running water, flushing toilets, and a dishwashing station is only 25 yards away.

There's only one downside. The picnic table at the campsite is built directly onto concrete posts sunk into the ground. It's completely immovable, and the sun is beating down on it in a quite unpleasant fashion. This is a problem that needs to be solved.

I survey the equipment we've brought. You might remember that I snagged a deal on five 6' x 8' tarps on the eve of the vacation. I also happened to throw every piece of rope, twine, and bungee cord that I own into the van. You know, just in case.

So I fasten three 6' x 8' tarps together to make a single 8' x 18' super-tarp. Then I run a long piece of rope between two trees, forming a kind of ridge-line that goes across the top of the picnic table. Finally, I toss the super-tarp over the ridgeline, then run guy-lines from the corners to four additional trees. I spend some time going back-and-forth and making adjustments and really honing my ability to tie a taut-line-hitch. But in the end, I have a super-sweet shade tarp centered perfectly over the table.

I have to tell you, I am unbelievably proud of this accomplishment. As of this moment, nothing I ever have done has given me as much satisfaction as this tarp contraption. And if you think I'm exaggerating, take a look at some of the dozens of photos I took of it. I have more photos of this tarp than I have of my wedding.