Sunday, July 10, 2016

Chapter 3: It Begins

Saturday, July 9


5:00a. Home

Pop quiz: do you know what happens if you get stung on your face and then go to bed? You wake up looking like this:



This vacation is awesome. I’m not even going to be able to drive if I can’t open my eye. I guess I’ll start packing the van.

9:00a. Home

It only took four hours to get packed. (Which isn’t bad considering it took almost 90 minutes just to get my contacts in.)

The good news: the swelling on my face has gone down. (Literally, the swelling has gone down from my eye socket into my cheeks and chin. I look like I just had a stroke.)

Well, we are off in just a moment. Our goal is to make it to Kansas City tonight, where we’ll be staying with my sister-in-law and her main man.

It’s almost 900 miles and Google predicts nearly 13 hours of on-the-road time. This should be fun.

This "End Boring Area" sign in Ohio was not accurate.


12:30a. Overland Park, Kansas.

Here we are! That actually wasn’t terrible. The kids did great and so did their old man. My face stopped actively hurting somewhere in Indiana.

My sister-in-law greeted us with homemade chocolate chip cookies, which couldn’t be more awesome.

Day 1 of the grand adventure is in the books. Our vacation has officially begun.

Today’s stats:

  • States visited: PA, WV, OH, IN, IL, MO, KS.
  • Miles traveled: 888.5
  • Travel time. 16 hours, 22 minutes